Thursday, August 16, 2007

7 Hours of Walking Around Munich

Boy, what a day! Today was very busy and full of exciting adventures, but I'll just touch on the basics in this post. My friend, Joan, and I started our day after breakfast at our little hotel. We decided that we'd roam around Munich today since it would be our only full day in the city. So we headed for Marienplatz, the famous center of the city.

On our way, we passed Karlsplatz and saw the first of several McDonald's restaurants around the city. The fountain below is from that area.



We passed some very grand buildings on our way, including the Justiz-Palast. Here's a view of the Justiz-Palast from the other side of the fountain.



The road to Marienplatz leads through a long path with plenty of small stores and cool looking buildings. We took plenty of pictures, but here are some favorites:



This fountain was in front of the church of St. Michael. The area where I'm seated was pretty empty in the morning, but by noon it was packed.

Since it's midnight in Munich right now and I'm supposed to wake up early for a tour tomorrow, I'll summarize the highlights of today and blog about them this weekend when I get to Berlin.

Basically, we made it to Marienplatz, took plenty of pictures around the incredible churches around, and climbed up to the top of St. Peter's church. We also visited the Hofbrauhaus where we had Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. I have to say that was the best Bratwurst and Sauerkraut I've ever had. There were some other places we visited, but until I get the right spelling of the names, I'll wait until this weekend to mention them. Time for bed!

No comments: