Thursday, September 6, 2007

Two Weeks Worth of Updates

It's been a while since I've posted on here. The biggest reasons being that the internet connection here isn't all that great so I'm not able to put many pictures up even though I'd like to. In my three weeks in Germany, I've taken nearly 2,300 pictures (although many of the shots aren't that great). I'm starting to sort out the best ones so when I get a chance I'll stick them in a post.

Over the past two weeks, the days have come and gone quickly. When you're going to class in the morning, attending a site visit or meeting in the afternoon, exploring the city when you have free time, and trying to finish homework in the evenings, the days fly by. We've had a chance to visit different sites like the Pergamon Museum, Sanssouci in Potsdam, the Reichstag, the Holocaust Memorial, and Sachsenhausen concentration camp. We've also gotten to meet with various politicians and community leaders. It's been a lot of fun hearing different stories and perspectives.

Today, our tour of the concentration camp at Sachsenhausen was one of the more emotionally draining experiences of the trip. Walking through the prison within the concentration camp was probably the most gut-wrenching tour I've had in a long while. As you walk along the paths that so many people walked on 60 years ago, a wide range of emotions flood your mind. Throughout the tour, a combination of anger, sadness, disgust, and guilt pulsed through my head as we walked around the site. Sometimes when I study history, I make the mistake of glossing events over as facts or numbers. This visit, however, definitely put things in perspective.

Tomorrow, we head to Prague for a short weekend trip. It will be a nice way to spend our last weekend as a class together. I'll be sure to take lots of picture. I hope I have enough space on my memory card.

More after Prague,

Sam

No comments: