Sunday, December 1, 2013

Where Has the Time Gone?

This week has flown by. It seems like just yesterday that Marcia and I had arrived in London. It also feels like just yesterday that I got to meet up with Ben and Abigail. Crazy. This morning, we decided to Skype our family in Singapore, so we called our grandma. She had a tiny bit of trouble with Skype, but we were able to chat with her. She sounded quite happy to see the three of us together.


After Skyping, we went to Westminster Abbey for a 11:15 am morning service. It was the first Sunday of Advent, and we still hadn't had a chance to see Westminster Abbey. So, I figured there'd be no better way to start our day than a nice church service.




You can't take pictures inside (as one of the people there told me quite sternly after I took this blurry shot below), and the whole service just felt like a very strict affair. Certainly not the warm welcome that St. Paul's Cathedral offers.


Overall, the service was fine. I had never experienced communion where everyone drinks from the same cup before, so that was a rather unnerving experience. Perhaps humbling is a better word. Between Westminster and St. Paul's though, I prefer St. Paul's. Cool note though: I did see the grave of Isaac Newton in Westminster Abbey.

After the service, we went to eat Japanese food at a restaurant Ben had been wanting to visit all weekend. It was very filling!


When we finished lunch, we walked around the corner to the National Gallery. I had missed the Arnolfini Portrait the other day, so I wanted to go see it. It was as great as I had hoped. After that quick stop, we snapped some photos in Trafalgar Square and Skyped with Ben and Abigail's parents back in Malaysia. Nice to see my aunt and uncle again!






We had a few hours before Ben had to catch his train, so he suggested going to the Museum of Natural History. Great idea! The building was impressive inside and out. We saw some dinosaurs.




After that, we decided to just head to King's Cross/St. Pancras. Abigail and I had really wanted to get a picture at Platform 9 3/4, so we got in the queue. After 15 minutes, we finally got our chance. I'm transferring to Hogwarts!


Ben took off soon after, and Abigail and I went home to collect her stuff so she could head to her bus station across the city. On the way to the bus station, I said goodbye to her there and got off one stop before her to meet up with Marcia for dinner at an Indian restaurant. Great food! Funky layout, too.




We strolled around the Globe Theatre afterwards and made our way home to pack. Tomorrow, we leave early in the morning. It's been a quick but fantastic trip, and I'm eager to pick the next destination already. Till then!

No comments: