Sunday, January 3, 2010

Another Visit to Portland

It's been a while since my last blog, but I'll try and keep this short and sweet (knowing me, yeah right...). After spending the past few weeks with my family in Spokane for the holidays, I flew to Portland this morning to spend a day with my old buddy, Roland.

Roland's mom and he picked me up from PDX and went to Pho for lunch. Yum. Portland has changed a bit since I was last here, and it looks really quite nice.

My goal for this visit, besides saying hello and catching up, was to attend the Portland Trail Blazers vs. Golden State Warriors game tonight. Since we had a few hours before the game though, we played a few rounds of NBA 2K10 on Roland's Xbox 360. Just like old days. : )

Then we actually went to a park and shot hoops for a bit. I'm quite rusty after hitting the gym a total of one time this past quarter.

After a quick stop at the grocery store, we got ready to head downtown for dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings and then on to the Rose Garden. I've only ever seen their commercials on TV, but I'd never been before. 'Twas pretty cool. I had a Honey BBQ Bacon Burger. Deeelicious.

We hopped back on the MAX (love light rail and public transportation) and headed for the Rose Garden in perfect time for the starting lineups and introductions. Man, the Rose Garden was full tonight and the atmosphere was quite electric.

Just like old times, we sat up in the nosebleed sections, but it was still fun. Pretty amazing that nearly 20,000 people are watching the same thing in the same building all together.

The game started off horribly. The Blazers trailed 11-1 and 17-3 in the first quarter. The officiating seemed very inconsistent, and the Warriors ended up dumping 41 points on the Blazers in the first quarter. That's about as far as their good luck carried them though.

Brandon Roy carved up the Golden State defense the rest of the night, finishing with 37 points along with 5+ rebounds and assists. Simply amazing. With his furious shooting and huge games from Andre Miller (23 points) and Martell Webster (21 points, 11 rebounds) as well as solid defense and hustle from the rookie, Dante Cunningham, (10 rebounds), the Blazers ended up winning fairly soundly 105-89. Chalupas!

After the game, I went and bought myself a LaMarcus Aldridge t-shirt. They didn't have Roy's shirt in my size, so I went with an equally good option with the Aldridge jersey t-shirt. The ride back on the MAX was tiring. I fell asleep.

Roland and I decided to go to Sonic for some popcorn chicken and slushies. Good late night snacks. After we headed home, we played two more rounds of NBA 2K10. I lost both times by one possession. Argh!

The graphics are ridiculous though, and the details even more so. I tried taking a picture. Didn't turn out all that great, but here it is anyway.

Tomorrow, I fly back to Seattle a bit after noon. Then it's right back to work to finish a great deal of school work as well as a lot for Dream Project. A few more trips coming up this month that I might have a chance to blog on again, including a weeklong trip to Guatemala. Can't wait!

Until then, toodles.

Sam

1 comment:

Rolando! said...

Ahh, old times. I could go for some Sonic right now. But I really couldn't, because I'm not in town anymore!