My flight was more or less uneventful—I slept, watched some TV, and chatted it up with the passenger next to me. On my flight from Seattle to Newark, I sat next to a young university student from Rutgers who is majoring in education. Had a nice chat about Rutgers and Dream Project, naturally.
On my flight from Newark to Athens, I sat next to a gentleman who was from Florida and owned a steakhouse. He was pretty cool. He told me he had moved from Rhodes, Greece, to Florida with his family as a young teenager, and then moved up to New York City to see if he could make it on his own. His family was too poor to support him, so they sent him to work as a 17 year old in NYC. He worked his way from being a dishwasher to being a club manager to owning a restaurant. Pretty inspiring guy.
Anyway, Taso picked me up in Athens with his niece, Nina, and we picked up a couple of other students in our program. It's been fun so far. Thank goodness the Metro from the airport to the center of Athens is actually fixed. Last year was a big hassle to get to and from the airport.
I'm staying at a hotel with the rest of the students for now and then will move to a guesthouse for a few days. Should be a fun but busy two weeks. Taso's asked me to be a program assistant, so I'm doing my best to remember where everything is. So far, we've already hit up the bank, the grocery store, a gyro place, and a café with internet.
Actually, I'm chilling with two of the students at a café now. We're across from the New Acropolis Museum and enjoying an ice tea or two. I've already had one beer today...gotta save room for another later. The weather is hot, naturally. It's supposed to be in the mid 90s the rest of the week, but thankfully there's a nice breeze blowing right now, even at 3:45 PM.
I'll try posting pictures later this week. We have to pay for internet at the hotel, so that's lame. I'm already turning darker by the minute. Love it.
I will probably crash tonight, since I'm tired. But the group will be heading out for dinner and then might take everyone on a walk around Plaka. We'll see. Nina probably has ideas for tonight.
Ok, I've got one minute of power left on my laptop. Gotta go. Toodles!
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment