Saturday, January 29, 2011

Moving Day

I just moved into my new apartment. Literally. About 30 minutes ago, in fact.

After having lived in Berlin's Neukölln neighborhood for the past four and a half months, I've now moved all the way across the city to Pankow, which is northwest of Berlin city center. It's pretty far away from the busy city (and from most of my friends' places), but it's nice to be in a quiet residential neighborhood after the past few months of living in Neukölln.

Don't get me wrong. I like Neukölln quite a bit, and I feel like it gets its bad reputation unfairly. But as my friend, Rob, and I were just discussing on my way to the new apartment, living in Neukölln keeps you alert every single time you step out. Walking down the block without putting on some sort of tough guy front makes you feel vulnerable to all the groups of mean people stomping their way past everybody. Not to mention the drug deals that happen a few blocks down...

I mean I don't mind walking around with my hood on and returning icy glares with some of my own if needed (I find that people leave you alone if you do); but, honestly, you just get drained after a while. So now, living up here in Pankow, in the middle of a nice residential area, and in an apartment above a computer software firm, I'm feeling quite relaxed.

Check out the new digs:




I'm feeling rather lazy at the moment, so I'll unpack tomorrow. It is Saturday evening after all. It is also the long night at the museum (Die Lange Nacht der Museen), but I'm considerably further away and actually need to prep for an online presentation for tomorrow and an online seminar I'm teaching this week.

This coming week is also winter break for Berlin schools, so the students are off all week. Those who received poor grades are likely to find their break less enjoyable. Meanwhile, I'll be doing a lot of research work for my project, mainly with articles, etc. So it should be fun.

Also, two weeks until my trip to Italy, and I'm already counting the days. Should be a fun adventure. 

Till next time,

Sam

2 comments:

Rissa said...

The new place looks great!!! We are coming to Berlin on the 26th of Feb and then back to Marburg on the 1st. Maybe we can arrange a meeting of some sort!! :]

Sam L. said...

You bet! I will be in town, so just let me know. Funny, Sarina's gonna be in town the two or three days before you arrive.