I've shut myself at home since returning from Greece, because my Fulbright report for my professor is due on Thursday. Unfortunately, it's driving me nuts as my dislike for doing academic research has only grown stronger through this Fulbright year (sorry to my friends and family who are incredible academics...academia just ain't for me).
Frankly, this morning, I spent more time working on an exciting potential new business venture called Americans Living Overseas and doing work for Scholarship Junkies than I did on my research project. Don't worry though, I made up for it by doing work on my project all afternoon. Everything will be done by Thursday.
Not being able to feel free to go out and enjoy the Berlin summer takes a toll though, so I've been doing my best to cook good food so I don't feel quite so cooped up at home. All I need is some ice cold beer...
For dinner today, I decided to recreate some food Brandon and I made in Athens. I marinated two chicken thighs with olive oil, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper as well as a dab of honey.
I tossed in a few cloves of garlic and then stuck it in the oven for 25 minutes. Man, I could smell it as I made my Greek salad too. Intoxicating.
After quickly making my Greek salad (without tomatoes though), I poured myself a glass of white wine too. Actually, the wine sucked since it's one of those cheap carton kinds you can buy at the grocery store. No more than 2€ for the whole thing. At least it was nicely chilled.
In about 22 minutes, the chicken was cooked all the way through, and it was ready to take out. Smelled, looked, and sounded (crackling) good. And it was.
So even without noodles or rice (as I typically have), I had a very filling dinner. An ice cold German beer right now would be heavenly too. Gotta wait to go to the grocery store with my roommate to pick up a new crate with his car. He just got back from his own week-long vacation to Spain. We seem to always be traveling.
Now, it's back to my report as I have two more full days to finish up this report. I can show you the tentative cover of my report though. I made some changes since I made it last night, but if my excitement in making it is any indication, I had more fun making the cover than writing the actual report itself. Hmm...I suspect that's probably not a good thing.
If the cover looks familiar to you at all, it may be because I drew inspiration from the U.S. Department of Education's publication, Blueprint for Reform. If you're curious, I did not plagiarize. :) I just created my own cover drawing from the Dept. of Ed's cover for inspiration. If you have any comments though, I'm all ears.
In any case, I'll post the final report on my blog when I finally finish it. I warn you now though: lower your expectations. I learned a lot from this year, and I would definitely not do the project the same way knowing what I know now. But then again, that's part of the Fulbright mission—to provide young scholars with invaluable experience abroad in preparation for a productive career.
Anyway, counting down the hours till Thursday...
Sam
Frankly, this morning, I spent more time working on an exciting potential new business venture called Americans Living Overseas and doing work for Scholarship Junkies than I did on my research project. Don't worry though, I made up for it by doing work on my project all afternoon. Everything will be done by Thursday.
Not being able to feel free to go out and enjoy the Berlin summer takes a toll though, so I've been doing my best to cook good food so I don't feel quite so cooped up at home. All I need is some ice cold beer...
For dinner today, I decided to recreate some food Brandon and I made in Athens. I marinated two chicken thighs with olive oil, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper as well as a dab of honey.
I tossed in a few cloves of garlic and then stuck it in the oven for 25 minutes. Man, I could smell it as I made my Greek salad too. Intoxicating.
After quickly making my Greek salad (without tomatoes though), I poured myself a glass of white wine too. Actually, the wine sucked since it's one of those cheap carton kinds you can buy at the grocery store. No more than 2€ for the whole thing. At least it was nicely chilled.
In about 22 minutes, the chicken was cooked all the way through, and it was ready to take out. Smelled, looked, and sounded (crackling) good. And it was.
So even without noodles or rice (as I typically have), I had a very filling dinner. An ice cold German beer right now would be heavenly too. Gotta wait to go to the grocery store with my roommate to pick up a new crate with his car. He just got back from his own week-long vacation to Spain. We seem to always be traveling.
Now, it's back to my report as I have two more full days to finish up this report. I can show you the tentative cover of my report though. I made some changes since I made it last night, but if my excitement in making it is any indication, I had more fun making the cover than writing the actual report itself. Hmm...I suspect that's probably not a good thing.
If the cover looks familiar to you at all, it may be because I drew inspiration from the U.S. Department of Education's publication, Blueprint for Reform. If you're curious, I did not plagiarize. :) I just created my own cover drawing from the Dept. of Ed's cover for inspiration. If you have any comments though, I'm all ears.
In any case, I'll post the final report on my blog when I finally finish it. I warn you now though: lower your expectations. I learned a lot from this year, and I would definitely not do the project the same way knowing what I know now. But then again, that's part of the Fulbright mission—to provide young scholars with invaluable experience abroad in preparation for a productive career.
Anyway, counting down the hours till Thursday...
Sam

No comments:
Post a Comment