I'll start backwards today. Just got back a bit ago from the Chicago Bulls' game against the Toronto Raptors. Final score was 102-101 Bulls in overtime. But to truly appreciate how improbable this win was, check out the highlights from ESPN.
I went with my friend, Anna, who also went to the UW and whom I met while visiting Berlin in 2009. She had never been to a Bulls game before (or any NBA game, for that matter), so tonight's game was as good as it gets for your first taste of NBA action.
When I was younger, I wanted to be like Michael Jordan, so to go to a game in the same arena he called home was pretty awesome. There's a statue of him outside the arena, and I promised my boss at Intrepid that I would definitely take a picture.
We were pretty excited to get pizza at the game, but apparently the one we wanted is no longer available. They contract with DiGiorno now...yes, the one you see on TV all the time. Disappointing $6. Overall, though, the game was great, and it seemed like every seat in the house was filled. Attendance was well over 21,000 people.
Earlier in the day though, I had driven an hour out to the suburbs to meet up with the Chans, old family friends from Portland. I bought some donuts and headed over. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty terrible at buying gifts for people. It was great to catch up though. It's been nearly 8 years since I last saw them.
I felt bad for only popping in for a short bit, dropping my bag off (I'm staying through the weekend with them), and then heading back to Hyde Park to drop off the car. But they were so nice about it, and Ray even picked me up from the Blue Line station after the Bulls' game.
Once I returned the car shortly before noon, I took a cab to the Art Institute of Chicago. Roland had told me to check it out, so I arranged to meet up with Anna and her friend, Amy, there. It was pretty neat!
I saw tons of paintings and art pieces from AP Art History, but we only stayed for maybe an hour and a half. Actually less, probably. Here are some highlights though.
I hadn't eaten lunch yet, so we stopped by a little cafe, and I got some pasta. I ate so much pasta in Berlin that I miss it now. Haha.
After food, we strolled to Navy Pier, where Amy had to pick up her gear for her 5 mile run tomorrow. It was a bit of a walk but nice to see much more of Chicago. It's a really awesome city!
My phone died at this point after navigating me with GPS all morning from Hyde Park to Hoffman Estates, but I had a chance to charge it when we went to Anna's apartment to hang out for an hour or two before the game started. It worked out well, because I definitely needed the phone in the evening.
So, I had another good day. Tomorrow, I'm heading to church with the Chans and then who knows what's after that. My trip is winding down, and since I'm not a huge tourist, I'm perfectly happy relaxing with them in the suburbs.
Till next time,
Sam
I went with my friend, Anna, who also went to the UW and whom I met while visiting Berlin in 2009. She had never been to a Bulls game before (or any NBA game, for that matter), so tonight's game was as good as it gets for your first taste of NBA action.
When I was younger, I wanted to be like Michael Jordan, so to go to a game in the same arena he called home was pretty awesome. There's a statue of him outside the arena, and I promised my boss at Intrepid that I would definitely take a picture.
We were pretty excited to get pizza at the game, but apparently the one we wanted is no longer available. They contract with DiGiorno now...yes, the one you see on TV all the time. Disappointing $6. Overall, though, the game was great, and it seemed like every seat in the house was filled. Attendance was well over 21,000 people.
Earlier in the day though, I had driven an hour out to the suburbs to meet up with the Chans, old family friends from Portland. I bought some donuts and headed over. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty terrible at buying gifts for people. It was great to catch up though. It's been nearly 8 years since I last saw them.
I felt bad for only popping in for a short bit, dropping my bag off (I'm staying through the weekend with them), and then heading back to Hyde Park to drop off the car. But they were so nice about it, and Ray even picked me up from the Blue Line station after the Bulls' game.
Once I returned the car shortly before noon, I took a cab to the Art Institute of Chicago. Roland had told me to check it out, so I arranged to meet up with Anna and her friend, Amy, there. It was pretty neat!
I saw tons of paintings and art pieces from AP Art History, but we only stayed for maybe an hour and a half. Actually less, probably. Here are some highlights though.
I hadn't eaten lunch yet, so we stopped by a little cafe, and I got some pasta. I ate so much pasta in Berlin that I miss it now. Haha.
After food, we strolled to Navy Pier, where Amy had to pick up her gear for her 5 mile run tomorrow. It was a bit of a walk but nice to see much more of Chicago. It's a really awesome city!
My phone died at this point after navigating me with GPS all morning from Hyde Park to Hoffman Estates, but I had a chance to charge it when we went to Anna's apartment to hang out for an hour or two before the game started. It worked out well, because I definitely needed the phone in the evening.
So, I had another good day. Tomorrow, I'm heading to church with the Chans and then who knows what's after that. My trip is winding down, and since I'm not a huge tourist, I'm perfectly happy relaxing with them in the suburbs.
Till next time,
Sam













No comments:
Post a Comment