Well, the heat finally gave way to some rain and cooler weather. A bit more Seattle-like. But it did bring thunder and lightning along with it too.
This morning, I slept in until about 11:30. So nice. I then just worked on a couple of things—catching up on emails, writing a letter of recommendation for a student, and finalizing my presentation to the students from Amundsen High School and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund's Chicago Scholars program.
I left for Loyola around 3 pm and was able to pick up Tiffany again for the ride up to campus. After doing some legal research last night, I realized I wouldn't be able to contest the $60 rush hour ticket. The only case I could possibly have made was that there was no sign visible that said "No parking during rush hours of 4-6 pm" or something like that.
Alas, I did not look for any signs, and I also read that previous appeals with that as the main argument were denied. So, shoot. Oh well.
Tiffany and I arrived around 4 pm at Loyola and got set up. The building today was quite nice. It was the Life Sciences building, and I don't know if it's new but it sure looked nice.
As I was setting up, I realized that I didn't have remote. I seem to have lost it! Noooooooo! They don't make Apple remotes like that one I have (or had, I guess) anymore. Tiffany has an iPhone, so she even tried helping me buy the $0.99 app for Keynote remotes, but because we didn't have Internet to connect her phone to my MacBook, it didn't work.
So, I just walked around, back and forth, to click the next slide. Today, I also asked Tiffany to help take some pictures, which she did. Hooray!
Overall, today's presentation was also a success, and I met some incredible young students. I'm excited about their futures, and I hope today's workshop really helped. Though they didn't engage during the presentation as much as some of my other audiences, I loved the depth with which we discussed how to articulate a personal story.
We ran a bit longer than expected, so I extended the Zipcar by 30 minutes. As we walked to the car, I tried to snap some pictures of Loyola. Should've done it yesterday when it was actually clear and sunny. Didn't even get good pictures of the lake either. That's what Google's for, I guess.
Tiffany and I got back to Hyde Park a little after 7 pm and took a stroll back to Paul's. He had called and gone to the grocery store for pasta and beer, so we were all set. He made a wonderful dinner, and it was so awesome to catch up all together.
Tomorrow morning, I'll head out to the suburbs to meet up with the Chans, with whom I will be spending the weekend. They are old family friends, and it will be good to see them. However, I will only be dropping my stuff off in the morning and then heading back to Hyde Park to meet up with Tiffany (and maybe Paul) to head downtown to meet Anna, who is also a UW grad. We're gonna hang out for the day and try to hit up the Art Institute.
Then in the evening, Anna and I are going to the Bulls' game. Can't wait! Hope D-Rose is playing.
Till the next update,
Sam
This morning, I slept in until about 11:30. So nice. I then just worked on a couple of things—catching up on emails, writing a letter of recommendation for a student, and finalizing my presentation to the students from Amundsen High School and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund's Chicago Scholars program.
I left for Loyola around 3 pm and was able to pick up Tiffany again for the ride up to campus. After doing some legal research last night, I realized I wouldn't be able to contest the $60 rush hour ticket. The only case I could possibly have made was that there was no sign visible that said "No parking during rush hours of 4-6 pm" or something like that.
Alas, I did not look for any signs, and I also read that previous appeals with that as the main argument were denied. So, shoot. Oh well.
Tiffany and I arrived around 4 pm at Loyola and got set up. The building today was quite nice. It was the Life Sciences building, and I don't know if it's new but it sure looked nice.
As I was setting up, I realized that I didn't have remote. I seem to have lost it! Noooooooo! They don't make Apple remotes like that one I have (or had, I guess) anymore. Tiffany has an iPhone, so she even tried helping me buy the $0.99 app for Keynote remotes, but because we didn't have Internet to connect her phone to my MacBook, it didn't work.
So, I just walked around, back and forth, to click the next slide. Today, I also asked Tiffany to help take some pictures, which she did. Hooray!
Overall, today's presentation was also a success, and I met some incredible young students. I'm excited about their futures, and I hope today's workshop really helped. Though they didn't engage during the presentation as much as some of my other audiences, I loved the depth with which we discussed how to articulate a personal story.
We ran a bit longer than expected, so I extended the Zipcar by 30 minutes. As we walked to the car, I tried to snap some pictures of Loyola. Should've done it yesterday when it was actually clear and sunny. Didn't even get good pictures of the lake either. That's what Google's for, I guess.
Tiffany and I got back to Hyde Park a little after 7 pm and took a stroll back to Paul's. He had called and gone to the grocery store for pasta and beer, so we were all set. He made a wonderful dinner, and it was so awesome to catch up all together.
Tomorrow morning, I'll head out to the suburbs to meet up with the Chans, with whom I will be spending the weekend. They are old family friends, and it will be good to see them. However, I will only be dropping my stuff off in the morning and then heading back to Hyde Park to meet up with Tiffany (and maybe Paul) to head downtown to meet Anna, who is also a UW grad. We're gonna hang out for the day and try to hit up the Art Institute.
Then in the evening, Anna and I are going to the Bulls' game. Can't wait! Hope D-Rose is playing.
Till the next update,
Sam










No comments:
Post a Comment