This morning, I woke up to a stupid fly buzzing around my head. It was so hot last night that we left the window open. This idiotic fly made it difficult for us to get any rest; I wish I'd had one of those electric fly swatters.
I woke up early, though, and I ended up catching up on work that I'd been neglecting since arriving in Germany. When Mario woke up, I borrowed his keys to go pick up some fresh bread and eggs. The bakery was out of rolls already (there were more in the oven, but I didn't have time to wait), so I picked up a loaf of bread.
Mario and I ended up having a very typical breakfast for me in Europe: bread with freshly sliced cheese, slices of chorizo or salchichon, and a Spiegeleier on top (an egg, sunnyside up). Top that off with some dried oregano, salt, and black pepper, and that was my breakfast.
What I failed to remember was that I was supposed to go lunch with my old Fulbright professor in less than two hours, so when I finally showed up at her office and went to a local Italian restaurant with her, I felt terrible that I couldn't even finish my half of the Pizza Diablo we shared. But it was so great to catch up with her, and she helped me brainstorm some awesome ideas for possible research and job opportunities.
After lunch, I headed straight to Schlachtensee again, where the Armengol siblings from Spain were already waiting for me. They were friends of Mario's who had come over last night, and we'd decided at some point that we would all go to Schlachtensee again, since they'd never been. So, I went again for the second time in two days.
It was not as hot out today as it had been yesterday, but it was still plenty warm. I hope they enjoyed swimming and then laying out in the sun as much as I did! I was so tired I ended up falling asleep for a good hour or so.
Sadly, I had to leave them a bit early (and before we were able to go rent a boat to go across the lake), but it was okay, because I was going to meet my other friends in Kreuzberg for drinks. I stopped by the apartment, where Mario's room now becomes my place for the next 36 hours or so.
I met up with some friends near my favorite schwarma shop in Berlin. But since the schwarma had not been very good the other day, we went to get a dürüm döner instead. Delicious! It was nice to grab a beer afterwards, too! I'm so glad I got to see Tamar and Nino again, after we spent months working on English lessons together back in 2011.
Before heading home, I walked toward my friend Manuela's apartment, which isn't too far from where I had met with Tamar and Nino. Manuela has been very busy with work and everything, so she'd called me this evening inviting me to stop by. I'm so glad I could!
On my way over though, I saw the huge moon hanging low in the sky at the end of Oranienstraße, which has become significantly more touristy than I remembered it. I heard more English than I did German. Crazy.
At Manuela's, the view from the balcony directly faced the moon, so of course, I snapped a photo.
It was really good to catch up and just chat about life. Manuela's working on some pretty neat projects, so it was neat to hear about them. Plus, chatting on her balcony was perfect for watching the moon in a nice, cool breeze.
All in all, I was able to see several more friends today that I had worried I would not be able to see. I still have several other friends in the city I'd like to see, but at this point, I probably won't be able to, since tomorrow night is a Fulbright dinner event that Brandon and I are heading to.
That just means I will have to come back again soon!
I woke up early, though, and I ended up catching up on work that I'd been neglecting since arriving in Germany. When Mario woke up, I borrowed his keys to go pick up some fresh bread and eggs. The bakery was out of rolls already (there were more in the oven, but I didn't have time to wait), so I picked up a loaf of bread.
Mario and I ended up having a very typical breakfast for me in Europe: bread with freshly sliced cheese, slices of chorizo or salchichon, and a Spiegeleier on top (an egg, sunnyside up). Top that off with some dried oregano, salt, and black pepper, and that was my breakfast.
What I failed to remember was that I was supposed to go lunch with my old Fulbright professor in less than two hours, so when I finally showed up at her office and went to a local Italian restaurant with her, I felt terrible that I couldn't even finish my half of the Pizza Diablo we shared. But it was so great to catch up with her, and she helped me brainstorm some awesome ideas for possible research and job opportunities.
After lunch, I headed straight to Schlachtensee again, where the Armengol siblings from Spain were already waiting for me. They were friends of Mario's who had come over last night, and we'd decided at some point that we would all go to Schlachtensee again, since they'd never been. So, I went again for the second time in two days.
It was not as hot out today as it had been yesterday, but it was still plenty warm. I hope they enjoyed swimming and then laying out in the sun as much as I did! I was so tired I ended up falling asleep for a good hour or so.
Sadly, I had to leave them a bit early (and before we were able to go rent a boat to go across the lake), but it was okay, because I was going to meet my other friends in Kreuzberg for drinks. I stopped by the apartment, where Mario's room now becomes my place for the next 36 hours or so.
I met up with some friends near my favorite schwarma shop in Berlin. But since the schwarma had not been very good the other day, we went to get a dürüm döner instead. Delicious! It was nice to grab a beer afterwards, too! I'm so glad I got to see Tamar and Nino again, after we spent months working on English lessons together back in 2011.
Before heading home, I walked toward my friend Manuela's apartment, which isn't too far from where I had met with Tamar and Nino. Manuela has been very busy with work and everything, so she'd called me this evening inviting me to stop by. I'm so glad I could!
On my way over though, I saw the huge moon hanging low in the sky at the end of Oranienstraße, which has become significantly more touristy than I remembered it. I heard more English than I did German. Crazy.
At Manuela's, the view from the balcony directly faced the moon, so of course, I snapped a photo.
It was really good to catch up and just chat about life. Manuela's working on some pretty neat projects, so it was neat to hear about them. Plus, chatting on her balcony was perfect for watching the moon in a nice, cool breeze.
All in all, I was able to see several more friends today that I had worried I would not be able to see. I still have several other friends in the city I'd like to see, but at this point, I probably won't be able to, since tomorrow night is a Fulbright dinner event that Brandon and I are heading to.
That just means I will have to come back again soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment