Friday, November 29, 2013

Borough Market, St. Paul's Cathedral, and Covent Garden

This morning, we made some breakfast in our little kitchen after waking up. It's nice to have a whole house to ourselves, so we had some rolls with cheese, bacon, eggs, English tea, and juice.


We waited for Ben and Abigail to arrive, and I took a photo of our lovely garden courtyard while waiting.


They finally arrived, and that was the very first time I got to meet Ben. He was the last cousin I had yet to meet, and vice versa for him to meet me. After they got to the house and settled in, we headed out to Borough Market, where lots of food to sample awaited.


As we walked around, there was lots of good stuff to look at and smell. We picked up some Turkish delight, which was okay. They're better in Istanbul. Saw some giant plates of paella, too. I think this was curry.


There were some white and black truffles to smell. The black ones were insanely strong-smelling.


Marcia and I split a chorizo sandwich with some arugula and peppers. Pretty good stuff.


After walking around a bit more, we decided to head down to the river and walk toward the Tower Bridge. It was windy out, but it's been in the mid-40s this week. Warmer than NY!


The Tower Bridge was looking as majestic as always.




It was pretty cool walking across, too.



On the other side of the bridge, we visited the outside of the Tower of London.





After that, we headed to St. Paul's Cathedral for Evensong. Thanks to many savvy traveling friends for the tip on how to get in for free and enjoy a church service at the same time. First we walked down to the Millennium Bridge and took some pictures.





It was really great going to the 40-minute service. Honestly, it was one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. So much so that Ben fell asleep.




We headed to Covent Garden to meet my friend, Bojan, for dinner. Bojan and I are both HIA Fellows from Germany; he did it in 2011, and I did it in 2008. But we met at the HIA Conference in Berlin in 2011, since I was on my Fulbright.


It was good to meet up again and grab food. Our first two restaurant choices both had ridiculous waiting lines, so we went to Chinatown.




After crazy stories over dinner, we walked around Covent Garden and down to Big Ben. Lots of cool things to see.









Then we called it a night and went home to enjoy some white wine and get ready for Harry Potter tomorrow. Can't wait!

No comments: