It's been a while since my last post, and I've had a few chances to do so on several trips but failed. So I'm making up for that in wonderful Wenatchee, WA.
I'm here for a UW State GEAR UP outreach trip with my co-workers Michael, Danyel, and Jon. We're visiting three high schools on this two day trip and staying one night in Wenatchee. It's my first time out here in Danyel's hometown, and I kind of like it.
We drove early this morning, and right away, I fell asleep in the car. So did Danyel, I guess. Jon and Michael were kind enough to take a picture of us. What are friends for, eh?

We had lunch in Cashmere at the Country Boys BBQ restaurant. I had a delicious pulled pork sandwich, a root beer, and a bunch of crispy chips. Yum.
We arrived at Eastmont HS first (Danyel's school), and we got a tour of the school. I thought it was pretty large! They had areas of the school marked by the area of study (language arts, sciences, etc.). It was fun to see some of our students from the summer institutes we worked at last June and July, but many of them had sports games after school. So sadly, we only hung out with 6 or 7 students, but it was fun nonetheless. Plus we were able to have discussions about their plans for education beyond their junior year of high school.
After Eastmont, we headed back across the river to Wenatchee HS (Eastmont's rival). Again, we got to spend time with the students we worked with this past summer. Fun to catch up and meet new students as well. After a game of "common ground," we had spaghetti for dinner and then did a short presentation about GEAR UP to the students and their families then answered questions about college. 'Twas fun.

Now, we're at our hotel and enjoying a night at a pretty sweet hotel. Jon and I are sharing a room, while Michael and Danyel get rooms to themselves.

I think I'm about to go work out and then eat a snack before bed. Tomorrow we head to Quincy for our last stop at Quincy HS and then it'll be back to UW.
Until next time,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment