It's been a few days since my last post, and mainly, it's because I have no internet at my apartment and not much time on campus to use my computer. Since I have about an hour and a half before our next event, I'll do my best to sum up what I've done since I arrived in Germany.
This week has been an orientation week for Fulbright Scholars to Germany, but only for Fulbrighters who are taking the six-week language course sponsored by the Fulbright program. Not sure if every other Fulbrighter who is not here is fluent in German, but our group of 32 here has a whole range of German speakers. There are some folks who've taken maybe one or two semesters of German either in high school or university (or none at all), and there are some who have spoken German for eight to ten years. I'm somewhere in the middle.
Our groups have been divided into four levels, and based on the ridiculous placement test they had us take a few months ago, I placed into the third level. Most everyone in this group understands German fairly well. We have a variety of strengths and weaknesses in the group—speaking, vocab, reading, grammar, etc.
We are allowed to switched courses if we want, and I was tempted to switch into the 4th level. I feel like I could probably understand most everything there, but I decided to stick with 3rd level and work towards doing the best I can. It's been good so far, and now I have homework. The funny thing is the textbook we are using is the same one I used in German 301 and 302 at the UW. You'd think that'd be an advantage, but honestly, I sort of stopped trying very hard in Germany after the middle of second year.
The rest of the program here has been fine. The orientation was helpful, but at times a bit overwhelming. I don't typically like sitting through long sessions and discussions; I like doing things. So I was, perhaps unfairly, a bit tired of having to hear every single detail about German life. I appreciate the basics, but I'm ready to just learn it on my own. I'm a bit stubborn, eh?
We've had some fun excursions as well, and last night, a group of us got together for dinner. Anna, who is a Fulbrighter originally from Seattle (Garfield HS, actually), made a delicious curry, and we enjoyed it with rice (and German beer, of course). We've also had a few group activities during orientation, which is fun because Fulbright covers the cost of dinners, etc. :)
The weather has also been very different from Greece. It rained a lot yesterday! It reminds me of Seattle and Portland, and honestly, it's much more green and hilly here than I had expected. It's very much like the Pacific Northwest, except that there are old castles sticking up from every other hill. Marburg's a pretty cool town. Pictures below.
Here's the Rathaus or city hall.
There's a nice little fountain there.
Later that evening, I climbed up the hill to a beer garden above the city.
The view from the beer garden.
The group waiting for dinner the next day.
The view from our seats.
I had chicken breast with Asian vegetables and Basmati rice. Whatever Asian vegetables are...
Brandon was so tired he fell asleep.
But then he seemed wide awake when dessert came.
At the grocery store, I saw this box of Hello Kitty Loops and had to take a picture.
Almost all the Fulbrighters went grocery shopping together.
Anna made some delicious curry.
We also had a nice salad.
We hung out at Alec and Keri's apartment.
James, Jennifer, and Anna all came over from their apartments as well. We all live in the same complex, just different buildings.
Doesn't that look good?!
Tomorrow night, we have a little bar hopping excursion in Marburg. Should be fun going with the program coordinators to all the good spots. It's also Nick's birthday. He's a Fulbrighter from UNC-Chapel Hill. We will definitely be celebrating his birthday as well. I also need to get a haircut tomorrow...my hair is getting long.
Anyway, I have to run to join the rest of our group on a tour of Marburg starting at the Rathaus. I may or may not take pictures, but I'll bring my camera along. Thank goodness it's not raining again today.
Toodles,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment