The weather has been dreadfully hot again this week, on a few occasions reaching 100-105 degrees Fahrenheit. It's seemed hotter this year than last...or is it because my new guesthouse doesn't have air conditioning?
Sadly, I also do not have any new pictures to share as I have yet to charge my camera since Taso's wedding, and I haven't even taken it with me this week. That's cause all I've done this week is interviews and work, which isn't all that fun to take pictures of (nor does it even seem all that appropriate). Forgive me for yet another post without pictures. I'll do better next time.
I've had a great time with the interviews though. I made a few more Greek friends and have gotten to hang out with them outside of my interview/work time. Side note: Greeks are incredibly nice people if you get to know them. Over the last two years, I've had a few interviews turn into great friendships actually.
So far this year, I've met two guys who have become good friends here—Tasos and Thanasis. I interviewed both of them on Saturday, and I've hung out with them just about everyday since I met them. That's because they both are always in Exarchia, where I do my interviews. Tasos seems to know just about everyone and has been introducing me to friends and random people to see if I can interview them. It's awesome. And Thanasis owns a store that sells food, drinks, and other products from Crete. I've lost count of how many hours I've spent sitting outside his shop with him, drinking a beer or eating some snacks from Crete.
My interviews have been really great so far though, and as I've gotten more data, it seems what we discovered last year has been fairly consistent in what people are saying this year. Should be a fun paper to write once I've transcribed all my interviews. Tomorrow, while Taso takes the students on a two-day trip to the island of Hydra—arguably my favorite island, I will stay in Athens to see if I can't get a bunch more interviews. I've gotten about 10 interviews so far...based on my schedule, I should have 20. So I really need to pick up the pace over the next few days.
Anyway, last update is that I got to spend time with Professor Ingebritsen's two kids today. While she and her husband went to a dinner hosted by the Norwegian Institute, I stayed at their house with their son and daughter. For nearly five hours, we had a blast. We played Scrabble (hadn't played that in years), we discovered how many games are actually on the iPod Touch my sister gave me before I left Seattle, and I started to learn how to juggle from CJ (not just throw two balls circularly in the air, but actually juggle three balls). I actually picked it up a bit pretty quickly, and I think if I spent a few hours concentrating on it, I could do it pretty well. :)
All in all, I had a great day, and it's time to hit the sack. It's nearly 4 AM here. Thank goodness I'm sleeping in tomorrow...
Until next time,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment