Sunday, November 21, 2010

Food Pictures are the Best

I was about to start blogging when I couldn't think of a good title for this post. I suppose that's what happens when you have nothing extraordinary to report. The only interesting thing may be the pictures of food I've had in the past week.

Before I post the pictures though, I do want to share a quick update on my school visits. So far, still working (slowly) on getting permission, contact in schools, etc. I've been spending more time simply just writing, and it's heavenly. I'd rather just stay at home and write my thoughts. But I would also like more stories to write out, so I do really need to get into more schools.

The one school I have been fortunate to spend time at though has been great in working me into their schedule and class plans. For example, I sat in on an English class last week. As soon as I walked in, I was invited by three of the young boys to sit at their table, which I did. The next hour and a half we worked together on writing a dialogue on how to order food. It was pretty awesome. They ordered pizza, döners, and lasagna, which all cost ridiculous prices. Fun exercise, and I even got to do the example role play with the teacher.

If there's one thing I've learned from my short time in classes, it's this: I do not want to be a teacher. Period. As much as I love learning and sharing with others, I can't do it on a daily basis the way these teachers can. Honestly, I think teaching is one of the hardest jobs out there. I have much respect and admiration for anyone who ventures into the teaching world and succeeds.

This week, I will continue with visits—three classes actually. If I understood correctly, all of them will be English classes. Should be fun.

I just realized I actually had more interesting stuff this weekend. I spent most of Saturday afternoon at the HIA office with a small team of Senior Fellows. We read about 60 applications for a seminar later this year. We could only choose a small handful, so we broke out in teams and read every application. After four hours, we were successful. Overall, it was a good experience, and I got to see some wonderful people I hadn't seen in a few years.

Then after that, I headed out to Kreuzberg to meet another Senior Fellow, actually. Although he now lives in the US, he came back to visit Berlin since he did his masters here, and he invited me and some other friends to go to dinner. I had wiener schnitzel. Yum. It was a good evening though, and I have to say it's pretty neat to have a network of friends here already.

Speaking of HIA, I actually saw my old research buddy this weekend too. We met up with another Senior Fellow and went to a café. Seems like the theme of this weekend was HIA reunions.

Other than that, I spent some time cooking and getting ready for this week (Thanksgiving plans with Fulbright and friends). I had dinner with a fellow Fulbrighter from Marburg, and we had a great dinner and chat in English and German. Very fun indeed. I also tried making Thai Sweet Chili Chicken again, which is pictured below (with some veggies and rice I cooked up). The rest of the pictures are from dinner tonight at Michelle's place. She made some really awesome Turkish food, which was quite similar to food I had in Greece. All of it was delicious, and we had plenty of fun.









So there you have it. The latest update. This week, I have plenty more work to do since I'm effectively going to be on break from the beginning of December until the middle of January with all my travel plans. Should be fun.

Toodles,

Sam

No comments: