Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Week Part 3

Well, I suppose with the third Thanksgiving dinner this week, my Thanksgiving week in Germany has finally come to a close. It was most definitely a great way to close it out. Today, I spent almost the entire afternoon at my buddy Matt's house.

Again, like at James', there were a handful of Americans and a bunch of non-Americans (I say non-Americans since there were more than just Germans there). Nevertheless, we had a true Thanksgiving dinner, and the non-Americans learned all about the great holiday.

Matt also had a 15 lb. turkey, and it was absolutely excellent.


Michelle helped him mash the potatoes. Clearly, she had fun doing it.


I think stuffing may be my new favorite part of Thanksgiving food. Really stellar.


Before we cut the turkey, we took some obligatory fun photos.


Eating began around 2:30 PM, and Michelle looked very excited, even though this was her fourth Thanksgiving meal this week (and had a fifth one later in the day).


Matt also made his largest cornbread ever, and with a nice dab of honey, it was heavenly.


We all had at least second helpings of the delicious food, and then we moved on to dessert—a pumpkin pie and an apple pie with whipped cream.


Today was truly very similar to a regular Thanksgiving as we sat around, drank wine, and chatted about everything the whole afternoon. Matt even told the history of Thanksgiving in German, which was quite impressive.


In honor of the holiday, someone brought along the game, Carcassone, but the Mayflower edition. I've never played it personally, but given the theme, I do like it.


Later in the evening, I left the party and headed for a Christmas market in Prenzlauer Berg, where my friend, Elena, and a whole bunch of Erasmus students from Marburg were spending part of their weekend in Berlin. The Christmas market offered not only good food and drink, but also fun(ny) attractions such as this double coat thingy.


Surprisingly, after the hour-long commute, I was hungry again. So I got a cheeseburger. Deeeeeeeeelicious. I had one of these last summer too, and I had been thinking about it every time I visited the neighborhood.


It was freezing outside though, and there was actually a bit of snow all around. Then there was also this weird "angel" dude on sticks. He was swooping around like he was drunk or something...or trying to fly. Either way, scary.


After a while, we decided to head to a bar. We went down Kastanianallee, but I was disappointed to see so few bar options. I had always remembered it to be more lively than I found it tonight. In the end, we went to an Indian restaurant, where I had an Indian beer (interesting, not my favorite) and some garlic naan. Reminded me of Seattle.


Tomorrow, I'll probably be spending the day with James, his sister, and Elena. A visit to the Pergamon Museum is quite likely, and I must say I'm quite excited. It's the middle of the night now, so I should go to sleep. But, as usual, I'm starving again. Haha. Oh well.

Until next time,

Sam

No comments: