I'm still sore from softball practice yesterday, but despite having to wake up early on Sunday to take an hour-long tram, U-Bahn, and bus ride, I am glad I went to practice.
At first, I was worried it had been canceled at the last minute, as was the case a few weeks ago. I showed up 10 minutes early, and there was not a single German in sight. Truly strange, since they're always early! Even stranger was the fact that the next two folks to arrive were a fellow American and a Cuban.
As I waited, I took a few pictures of the field and the surrounding scenery. The field, as I've mentioned before, is on the site of the old Tempelhof Airport. There were lots of folks walking around, flying kites, or flying remote-controlled airplanes. Pretty neat.
Nevertheless, the others arrived soon after, and practice commenced with stretching and a jog around the field. Then we tossed the ball around a bit and finally took the field as players took turns batting.
I have to say I did much better than I did at my first practice. I did not miss as many groundballs this time. Sadly, I couldn't catch up to the few pop ups that fell just out of my reach (I was playing mostly shortstop and second base). The few times I did play in the outfield, I misjudged my lone catchable fly ball and ended up just jogging back to play in the infield.
One hot shot did go just under my glove though and managed to hit me right on my ankle bone. That was not very pleasant. Nor was fouling a ball off my foot. All in all though, I had another fun time, and it's nice to have an outdoor free-time activity.
After practice, I made it home around 3:30 PM and made lunch. The boneless chicken breasts I'd bought last week needed to be cooked, so I chopped 'em, tossed 'em in the wok with some fish sauce, white wine, and sesame oil, and then mixed it all with a mushroom-based sauce I'd bought at the grocery store. I ate that all with rice. 'Twas delicious. So much so, I did not even take a picture of it.
I did, however, take a picture of my dinner today. Pizza. I added green peppers and mushrooms. Have I written about how cheap groceries are here? I bought three frozen pizzas with salami on top for 2,49€. That's ridiculous.
Oh, I also made pasta with sausages, carrots, garlic, and onion in a tomato sauce last night around 9 PM. Late lunch, late dinner.
Anyway, today, I posted a blog article on ScholarshipJunkies.com that highlights the benefits of studying abroad as well as a number of ways to fund such programs. You can read it in original form here or on Facebook here. A shortened version of the article will also be posted on another website later this week. I will share where exactly once the details of that have been finalized.
On Wednesday, I'll be attending an event hosted by the British Council in Berlin. The topic is "Engaging the Future." Attendees will be discussing in groups topics like the future of wealth, cities, work, and the environment. It's part of an initiative to generate transatlantic dialogue on global foresight. Thanks to the German Fulbright Commission, I along with at least one other Fulbrighter will get to attend and participate. Looking forward to it!
I'm still working on projects, and I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to do them all. Oh well, I suppose that's what makes life exciting. :)
Sam
At first, I was worried it had been canceled at the last minute, as was the case a few weeks ago. I showed up 10 minutes early, and there was not a single German in sight. Truly strange, since they're always early! Even stranger was the fact that the next two folks to arrive were a fellow American and a Cuban.
As I waited, I took a few pictures of the field and the surrounding scenery. The field, as I've mentioned before, is on the site of the old Tempelhof Airport. There were lots of folks walking around, flying kites, or flying remote-controlled airplanes. Pretty neat.
Nevertheless, the others arrived soon after, and practice commenced with stretching and a jog around the field. Then we tossed the ball around a bit and finally took the field as players took turns batting.
I have to say I did much better than I did at my first practice. I did not miss as many groundballs this time. Sadly, I couldn't catch up to the few pop ups that fell just out of my reach (I was playing mostly shortstop and second base). The few times I did play in the outfield, I misjudged my lone catchable fly ball and ended up just jogging back to play in the infield.
One hot shot did go just under my glove though and managed to hit me right on my ankle bone. That was not very pleasant. Nor was fouling a ball off my foot. All in all though, I had another fun time, and it's nice to have an outdoor free-time activity.
After practice, I made it home around 3:30 PM and made lunch. The boneless chicken breasts I'd bought last week needed to be cooked, so I chopped 'em, tossed 'em in the wok with some fish sauce, white wine, and sesame oil, and then mixed it all with a mushroom-based sauce I'd bought at the grocery store. I ate that all with rice. 'Twas delicious. So much so, I did not even take a picture of it.
I did, however, take a picture of my dinner today. Pizza. I added green peppers and mushrooms. Have I written about how cheap groceries are here? I bought three frozen pizzas with salami on top for 2,49€. That's ridiculous.
Oh, I also made pasta with sausages, carrots, garlic, and onion in a tomato sauce last night around 9 PM. Late lunch, late dinner.
Anyway, today, I posted a blog article on ScholarshipJunkies.com that highlights the benefits of studying abroad as well as a number of ways to fund such programs. You can read it in original form here or on Facebook here. A shortened version of the article will also be posted on another website later this week. I will share where exactly once the details of that have been finalized.
On Wednesday, I'll be attending an event hosted by the British Council in Berlin. The topic is "Engaging the Future." Attendees will be discussing in groups topics like the future of wealth, cities, work, and the environment. It's part of an initiative to generate transatlantic dialogue on global foresight. Thanks to the German Fulbright Commission, I along with at least one other Fulbrighter will get to attend and participate. Looking forward to it!
I'm still working on projects, and I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to do them all. Oh well, I suppose that's what makes life exciting. :)
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment