Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why Is It Raining in Italy?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It is February after all, and it did rain buckets on my last day in Rome in September 2008. But after experiencing light snowfall in Berlin this morning and arriving to a nice, free-of-rain Rome this evening, I was not expecting heavy showers in Pisa.

In any case, I'm staying at a hotel a mere 250 meters from the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I haven't seen it yet, since we headed straight to the hotel from the train station. Actually, we went to another hotel first, since I got a phone call from the receptionist. The desk had closed at 9 pm, and we weren't due to arrive at the Central Train Station till 11 pm.

She was very nice and invited us to meet her at another hotel (I guess she was working at another hotel tonight as well), from where she led us through a short alley and to our hotel. She was definitely a speed walker. But we got ourselves checked in and happy with free internet in the hotel room. For 43€ a night for two people, it's a steal.

I haven't taken many pictures yet, but here's what I snapped from the airplane. I also was so hungry that I didn't even take pictures of the fresh baguette, scamorza cheese, prosciutto, and potato chips that we bought at the grocery store for dinner. 6€ for dinner for two...gotta love living like a student.



Tomorrow, we'll wake up, walk outside, take a picture or two of the Leaning Tower, and then head to the train station for our trek along the Cinque Terre. Should be a fun stroll. I just hope it doesn't rain...

Sam

1 comment:

Rissa said...

it is raining everywhere .. including `lisbon.... to much rain.. lol well i will take it over the snow!