Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Wild Day in Berlin

I spent a lot of time outside today. I met up with Temneet, Dar-Ci, Tiffany, and Katie for lunch today at my favorite schwarma shop in Kreuzberg. It was so delicious, and I'm glad they all agreed.

After that, I went to meet up with Tamar for our English lesson. Nino was supposed to come too, but she wasn't able to make it today. So we'll see her again on Thursday. But Tamar asked me if it'd be alright to meet outside somewhere, so we went to a small street by her place. It's right by the canal, and the weather was just perfect.


Our lesson went well, and she was so kind as to get my drink for me. Seriously very kind. Afterwards, I headed to meet my friend, Rob, where he was working at a cafe. He kept refilling my beer. Haha. So nice. We ended up having dinner there too, and there was this protest going on.


Dinner was seriously bomb though. Schnitzel!


I went over to Temneet's apartment afterwards to celebrate her upcoming birthday. I brought a case of beer and a bottle of Fanta. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean, which I had not seen in a long time. But I only got to see a bit of it as I had to go to the Hauptbahnhof to pick up Spencer, who was arriving from Switzerland.

His train got in later than expected, so it took a while. But we ended up going back to Temneet's apartment. Since Spencer hadn't eaten since breakfast though, we went out for food. We actually went back to Adalbertstr. where my favorite schwarma place is, but we decided to try the döner across the street, since legend has it that that's where döner was invented. 'Twas delicious!


I think Spencer enjoyed it as well.


Late night food runs are the best.


I should add though that we actually passed through a rather crazy protest. There were tons of people on the streets, and as we passed through, a few police vehicles drove by with their lights flashing and sirens sounding. Some of the young crazy people in the crowd threw their beer bottles at the cars as they drove past. Didn't feel like we were in any imminent danger, but we decided to move quickly to get away from the craziness. Since I was guiding about 12 people, I wanted to make sure we didn't put ourselves in a bad situation. Thankfully, we made it through unharmed.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what all the protests were about. I read one of the posters earlier in the day when Rob and I saw protestors, and I think it said something about asylum. But I could be wrong. Then the guy I asked at the döner shop tonight didn't want to tell me, so I never found out there. And online, it said there were demonstrations earlier today in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg about the new plans to further develop the area along the Spree River, which is a root cause of major gentrification in Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg as well as being a factor in increasing rents, etc.

Anyway, I should really go to sleep now. After we sleep in tomorrow, Spencer and I are going to walk around Berlin and check out as many main sights as possible since he only has two full days here. May need to do the museums tomorrow since they may not be open on Monday. Otherwise, we'll be watching the World Cup final tomorrow night with friends and possibly folks from the U.S. Embassy. We're also going back to that little Asian restaurant place that has main dishes for 3€. I'm excited! :)

Ok, night,

Sam

No comments: