Sunday, February 6, 2011

Der Super Bowl

The Super Bowl is still going on at this moment. In fact, it's still in the first half as I write this. But since it's already after 1 AM in Berlin, I decided to just blog now anyway.

I invited a number of friends over to watch the Super Bowl at my new apartment tonight, and we had a full menu of food since everyone brought a little something to share. Needless to say, I'm stuffed. We had pizza, guacamole, chips, hot wings from KFC, chili, ice cream, brownies, cheese, crackers, vegetables and dip. Plus we had wine, beer, and soft drinks.

My buddy, James, came up on Saturday to hang out and help me prep for the party. We went and bought some of the food, and we spent most of today relaxing, getting some work done, and getting ready for a fun night. Matt arrived in the evening, and soon we were starting all our food prep.


Matt brought veggies, which seemed important since we had so much other bad junk food. As he was cutting veggies though, I started prepping pizzas with James. We did throw some bell peppers on our pizzas though, just to be semi-healthy. Haha. James and I had also gone to KFC earlier in the evening to pick up hot wings. Kinda expensive, but worth it for the deliciousness.


I suppose we could have put more vegetables on our pizzas, but either way they were good. I thought Matt did a good job with the veggie platter too.


Michelle arrived soon after and added guacamole to our growing collection of food. This was a nice little house warming party for me too, I suppose.






By the time Brandon finally arrived with chili, I was already really full. He brought his homemade chili in three layers of plastic bags, but even still it broke. Haha.


Our kitchen was full of friends chatting it up. It was nice to see everyone again as I hadn't seen some of them in a few months, even though we all live in the same city.


The game itself was showed on the German channel, ARD, which had German commentary. Pretty entertaining to hear all the German mixed with American football terms. Like "getackled" (past participle of "to tackle"). The only sad part is that they don't play American TV commercials, so at each pause in game action, we watch the streamed version of the game online.





My roommate is also at a Super Bowl viewing party tonight with his soccer buddies. I find it quite funny, since they're all German, but they're all watching the game live as well.

Tomorrow at noon I have a meeting at a school all the way across town, so I'll have to be up earlier than I would otherwise want to be awake after watching the Super Bowl into the wee hours of the morning. Oh well.

Hope you're enjoying the Super Bowl wherever you are in the world,

Sam

2 comments:

paul b. said...

Yeeeees. Americana! har har

Rissa said...

looks like you had an awesome party :) and lots of yummy food - like usual!! I am so glad the Packers won! This is def a game I will always remember.. and the channel was in German? That's awesome ours was streamed from ESPN AMERICA lol no cool German football terms for us :)oh well