Monday, March 14, 2011

Good News

I finally got my official permission from the Berlin Senate to carry out my research project! So after a few months of working on my proposal and waiting for the permission, I can finally charge full speed ahead.

All in all, I had a pretty solid weekend. I got lots of work done, and I got to have dinner with my old roommate, Ronny, who came over on Sunday evening. We cooked some chicken, rice, and made a cucumber salad. Pretty delicious I'd say.





After dinner, we ate some leftover ice cream (from my Super Bowl party in January...) and then played Wii Sports. I haven't played much Wii before, but Ronny and I tried out several of the games. We did baseball (I won), tennis (he won), golf (he won), and boxing (he won that too). Ok, so I lost most of the games, but we were evenly matched for nearly all of them. He just pulled it out in the end.

The boxing game was epic though. He won the first round. I won the second. The third round was very even, but apparently he landed more punches, so he won. Nevertheless, we both worked up a sweat just punching the air with our controllers. Good exercise for sure!

Today, I spent the day interviewing candidates for a summer human rights fellowship program. As a former fellow in the program, I had the opportunity to join the committee reviewing applications, etc. Due to confidentiality agreements, I can't share about the applicants or our discussions, but I will say this: I practiced a ton of German today. For four hours, I interviewed, listened, and discussed applications in German (with small doses of English) with the other committee members.

Anyway, I hope I did a decent job in making the case for the best applicants (in my opinion). My friend, Ariel, arrives tomorrow (as does James), so it's going to be a packed house but a fun week. My friend, Joan, arrives on Wednesday and then our friend, Galane, on Friday. It's like a Seattle reunion in Berlin.

Till next time,

Sam

No comments: