Well, my mosquito bite count is now up to at least 6.
I woke up with one on my right abdomen in addition to ones on my legs, arms, and neck. Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. I'm using mosquito repellant and electrical repellant plug-ins too!
Oh well, I'm dealing with it. How can you not when you live right beneath the Acropolis?
Taso took us on a tour of our neighborhood today, so we basically walked in a circle around the Acropolis--which, as you can imagine, is a quite a stroll. My body is still aching from all this walking.
We saw a Greek school too. It was nestled in the middle of this busy neighborhood with tons of shops everywhere. Can you imagine going to school here?
I saw this sign with 300 on it and just had to take a picture. They sell replica helmets here too! I could join the Mariners' relief pitchers in solidarity by getting one too. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read this. : )
Despite my sore ankles, it was great to walk around and know where some of the essential things are. After Taso left us to go pick up our last classmate, Jordan, from the airport, we ran a few errands like picking up cell phone sim cards, buying groceries, and going to the bank. Gyros are delicious here--and cheap too!
After we got home from running our errands, we went up to the roof of our guesthouse (yes, it's pretty awesome), and just chilled in the sun. I think I got darker!
In the evening, we had our official kick-off group dinner at a restaurant called Daphne's, as in Daphne and Apollo from Bernini's famous sculpture, which I saw at the Borghese Museum last year in Rome.
The food was really good, but definitely pricey. I didn't eat the shrimp or calamari since I didn't want to break out in hives and have to spend a night at the hospital. Otherwise, I ate everything on my plate.
After stuffing ourselves at dinner, we went out to a nice chocolate cafe that's supposed to have the most delectable desserts in Athens. Very chocolatey--just how I don't like it. So I stuck with the strawberry waffle with strawberries and vanilla ice cream. So good!
The view from the chocolate cafe was pretty amazing--their roof top tables were completely full. You could see the entire Acropolis all lit up at night and the huge, orange half-moon rising in the sky as well. We got as close to the windows as we could.
We got home a while ago, and now I need to get a bunch of work done. I'm way behind, and I feel unproductive not getting it done. Working on it slowly though.
Tomorrow, after our group meeting, we are visiting the New Acropolis Museum down the street. Can't wait! Then I need to do laundry and run errands in the afternoon. Our actual work will begin on Thursday.
The weather's supposed to get warmer too...yikes. We are visiting Taso's cousin's place this weekend in a village, so it will be a fun weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Until next time,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment