Dang it, I have another round of bloody bug bites. Some are mosquito bites; others, I think, are ant bites I got outside this morning. Can't complain too much though since we did trek up and around the entire Acropolis today.
Last night, we had a group meeting to talk about what's going on with our program--too much misunderstanding had boiled over, so it was good to air things out. Our program is back on track, I think.
Today, we woke up early to head to the Acropolis and walk around because, even though we live just on the south side, we still hadn't gone up since you have to pay for entrance. So, this morning, we went as a group and walked up the same steps that ancient Greeks like Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Pericles walked on. Amaaaaaaaaaaazing. : )
On top, we saw the Parthenon and the Erechthion in addition to some other remains from some of the earliest western civilizations. The Parthenon is incredible, and I spent a good ten minutes just walking around it, taking pictures, and sitting on old rocks and marble around it.
After the Acropolis, we made our way down the hill toward the Agora--the ancient marketplace. On the way, we passed by Mars Hill. If you know your New Testament stories well, the Apostle Paul preached on that hill after seeing an altar to the "unknown god". We climbed the ancient steps (now smooth and dangerously slippery after years of having people walk up and down them). I was seriously blown away.
Then, we finished up with a stroll around the Agora and visited the small Agora Museum as well. The walk reminded me of my walk through Rome last year through the Roman Forum. Same hot weather, similar rocky ruins, and another Rick Steves book to boot.
After three hours of walking around, my legs were about to fall off, so Maggie and I decided to visit the McDonalds nearby for lunch. I know, I know...I shouldn't be eating McDonalds...but, guess what? I had a Chicken Mythic burger! Tell me where you can find one of those outside of Greece.
We finished our food and realized neither of us could call the others since we both had run out of cell phone minutes, so we just strolled through the streets and checked out shoe shops and other little stores before making our way ALL the way over the Acropolis again back home.
We made a quick stop at the grocery store and cell phone place to finish errands, and then now I'm just relaxing at home before our group dinner tonight, more interviews after that, and then a day trip to the island of Aegina tomorrow. Cannot wait!
I need to finish charging my camera battery again...
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment