Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Group Dinners in Marburg Again

When I lived in Marburg last summer during my language course, I would often cook dinner with friends and have a big group dinner. Today, I arrived back in Marburg for my monthly medical trip, and I'm staying with my old neighbor, Carissa, and her roommate, Sarina. They had both just been in Berlin last week too, so it was nice to see each other again.

I had to wake up really early this morning, but last night I watched the Blazers play the Heat. I didn't make it through the whole game, but I saw enough to know they played better than they've been playing recently. Pretty exciting for them to start off their 4-game road trip against some of the top teams in the Eastern Conference with two consecutive victories.

Anyway, I had to ride a tram, a bus, and two U-Bahns to catch my ride to Marburg. I carpooled with two other people, and it was a pleasant ride. We spoke all in German at first, and in fact, they couldn't tell where I was from, even though they knew I wasn't German (i.e. whether I had immigrated to Germany recently or otherwise). Funny, soon they decided they wanted to speak English, which was fine since we'd already been conversing in German so much. Of course, they spoke impeccable English, and in fact, one of them sounded just like an American. If I hadn't known that she was German, I would've thought she was American based on her accent (or lack of the typical German accent).

We had a nice conversation. Apparently we all had lots of areas of interest. The girl with the American-like English accent studies at my university, and the lady driving is actually a teacher who studies the same subject I study at the Humboldt Universität. After our very insightful conversations, we agreed that we should meet up regularly in Berlin to discuss our respective research. Always great to make new connections.

In Marburg, I met up with Sarina at the university library, where I had actually never been during my six weeks here. One thing I really don't like about many libraries is that you cannot bring your backpack in. In fact, at this library, we had to even leave our jackets downstairs, etc.

I felt like I was so productive today because I didn't have internet in the library. My old username and password from the university no longer work (only natural, I suppose). So I worked on more transcriptions. I made some good progress.

When we finished our work, we headed into town to pick up some groceries for dinner. Normally, when I stay over with Carissa and Sarina, it means we cook chicken 'cause they typically don't cook meat (although recently they've ventured further into it :D). So tonight, we tried something new. We cooked chicken with peas, carrots, and a mushroom-based sauce. We ate it with rice. Good stuff. Check it out.



Tomorrow, I have my medical appointment and then will hang out with Carissa in the afternoon. I believe Sarina has to work on her 20-page paper, but hopefully we'll see her for dinner. In other exciting news, Carissa will be joining me, James, and Nick in Istanbul in a few weeks. I can't wait!

Ok, that's all for now.

Sam

1 comment:

Rissa said...

And she is sooooo EXCITED ABOUT IT :) and yes thanks to you we have been expanding our palate of food experiments :) Glad you could make it again!!