I found the pictures I was looking for, so here are the updates from the rest of the weekend. I fly back to NYC tonight, so I'll cram everything into this blog update.
On Friday morning, May and I went to breakfast with two of our aunts and one of our cousins. Again, I was very full.
The plan was to go biking along the beach, but it was very hot. So, we went to a mall with air conditioning first. Didn't buy anything, but we definitely tried on things and had fun taking pictures in the mall.
After we cooled down a bit, we went biking. We got one of those multiple seaters, so we could all bike together (i.e. I chilled in the back). The view was beautiful, and it was nice to have shade, too.
Our cousin biked along with us, so she could go fast. May tried to as well. Fail.
After biking, we met up with another of our aunts and uncle to walk along the beach a bit. There was a swing set nearby, so we hung out there, too.
There was a little driving safety park nearby, where kids go to learn the rules of the road. I think they use bicycles, but it's pretty neat. It even has a "gas station."
For lunch, we went to a neighborhood called Katong to eat Katong Laksa, which I'd heard was very famous and delicious. The noodles are so soft that you don't need chopsticks, just a spoon.
Look who else made it to this place (except in the '90s)!
In the afternoon and early evening, they took us to the Gardens by the Bay. It's a beautiful new park by Marina Bay. It's an educational place, too, since you can learn about what grows at different levels of the earth. The first section was called Cloud Forest.
There was a second part called Flower Dome. Lots of plants.
For dinner, we went to a food court of sorts called Satay by the Bay. Not the greatest food in the world, but still tasty.
To cap off our evening, our aunt had booked a karaoke room at the National University of Singapore (NUS) Alumni Guild House. The place had a swimming pool, a few bars, and a casino. We could even take showers there! Fancy. The UW Alumni Association should offer something like this...
Our cousin had a cool app that could take trippy photos. I'll just show you what I mean.
After such a great evening, we all slept in a bit on Saturday. Then May and I headed to our grandma's. She made us a great lunch. Delicious. Her chili was also very spicy.
In the afternoon, we went to a mall with some of our cousins, but it had been shut down for a few hours because of a fire in the garage. Apparently, a car had spontaneously combusted. Weird. So, we went to the mall across the street. Nice to just walk around.
For dinner, we all headed to an aunt's house, which I had not yet visited. It has been nice to see so many of my aunts and uncles' homes.
The dinner theme was tom yum, since they found out I really like tom yum. So sweet of them. I was stuffed!!
After dinner, the community center nearby had a fireworks show, which was completely unexpected. Nice surprise!
We also celebrated the birthdays of everyone who was born in August.
Saturday night was a goodbye party of sorts for May and me, too, so it was bittersweet to say goodbye to our family. Some of them we will see tonight at the airport, though, as May and I head back to the US.
Yesterday morning, Sunday morning, we went to church with our aunt at the church, where my parents were married. It was my first time there (though I'm sure I visited it during the first six weeks of my life). May and I had to stand up when they welcomed new and old friends. Haha. Lots of people asked us to send our parents their best regards.
Our aunt had a beautiful solo, too. May and I went to town taking pictures and videos.
The rest of the day we ate food and spent time at home together. It was a great way to spend our Sunday. Plus, our family all bought us new clothes and accessories. We have been absolutely spoiled.
Tonight, we fly back to the US and will head back to school and work. The past month has been pretty wonderful, and I feel extremely blessed to have spent my time abroad in Germany, Indonesia, Malaysia (very briefly), and Singapore. I couldn't be more grateful to have gotten the chance to meet so many of my family members and to have gotten smothered by all their love and care.
By 11 AM on Tuesday the 20th, I will be back in NYC at my new apartment, where my lovely roommates so kindly moved all of our stuff (including mine) from our old place to the new one. As I head back to school and work, I will look forward to my next chance to go abroad again.
Till then,
Sam
On Friday morning, May and I went to breakfast with two of our aunts and one of our cousins. Again, I was very full.
The plan was to go biking along the beach, but it was very hot. So, we went to a mall with air conditioning first. Didn't buy anything, but we definitely tried on things and had fun taking pictures in the mall.
After we cooled down a bit, we went biking. We got one of those multiple seaters, so we could all bike together (i.e. I chilled in the back). The view was beautiful, and it was nice to have shade, too.
Our cousin biked along with us, so she could go fast. May tried to as well. Fail.
After biking, we met up with another of our aunts and uncle to walk along the beach a bit. There was a swing set nearby, so we hung out there, too.
There was a little driving safety park nearby, where kids go to learn the rules of the road. I think they use bicycles, but it's pretty neat. It even has a "gas station."
For lunch, we went to a neighborhood called Katong to eat Katong Laksa, which I'd heard was very famous and delicious. The noodles are so soft that you don't need chopsticks, just a spoon.
Look who else made it to this place (except in the '90s)!
In the afternoon and early evening, they took us to the Gardens by the Bay. It's a beautiful new park by Marina Bay. It's an educational place, too, since you can learn about what grows at different levels of the earth. The first section was called Cloud Forest.
There was a second part called Flower Dome. Lots of plants.
For dinner, we went to a food court of sorts called Satay by the Bay. Not the greatest food in the world, but still tasty.
To cap off our evening, our aunt had booked a karaoke room at the National University of Singapore (NUS) Alumni Guild House. The place had a swimming pool, a few bars, and a casino. We could even take showers there! Fancy. The UW Alumni Association should offer something like this...
Our cousin had a cool app that could take trippy photos. I'll just show you what I mean.
After such a great evening, we all slept in a bit on Saturday. Then May and I headed to our grandma's. She made us a great lunch. Delicious. Her chili was also very spicy.
In the afternoon, we went to a mall with some of our cousins, but it had been shut down for a few hours because of a fire in the garage. Apparently, a car had spontaneously combusted. Weird. So, we went to the mall across the street. Nice to just walk around.
For dinner, we all headed to an aunt's house, which I had not yet visited. It has been nice to see so many of my aunts and uncles' homes.
The dinner theme was tom yum, since they found out I really like tom yum. So sweet of them. I was stuffed!!
After dinner, the community center nearby had a fireworks show, which was completely unexpected. Nice surprise!
We also celebrated the birthdays of everyone who was born in August.
Saturday night was a goodbye party of sorts for May and me, too, so it was bittersweet to say goodbye to our family. Some of them we will see tonight at the airport, though, as May and I head back to the US.
Yesterday morning, Sunday morning, we went to church with our aunt at the church, where my parents were married. It was my first time there (though I'm sure I visited it during the first six weeks of my life). May and I had to stand up when they welcomed new and old friends. Haha. Lots of people asked us to send our parents their best regards.
Our aunt had a beautiful solo, too. May and I went to town taking pictures and videos.
The rest of the day we ate food and spent time at home together. It was a great way to spend our Sunday. Plus, our family all bought us new clothes and accessories. We have been absolutely spoiled.
Tonight, we fly back to the US and will head back to school and work. The past month has been pretty wonderful, and I feel extremely blessed to have spent my time abroad in Germany, Indonesia, Malaysia (very briefly), and Singapore. I couldn't be more grateful to have gotten the chance to meet so many of my family members and to have gotten smothered by all their love and care.
By 11 AM on Tuesday the 20th, I will be back in NYC at my new apartment, where my lovely roommates so kindly moved all of our stuff (including mine) from our old place to the new one. As I head back to school and work, I will look forward to my next chance to go abroad again.
Till then,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment