Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Exploring and Grilling in Trondheim

While Fredrik had to do work today, Jess and I walked around Trondheim today. I took over 100 pictures, but here are some of the highlights from today.

Our day started out walking around the older parts of Trondheim. Really quite pretty with the color of the buildings and the reflection of the water.


Along the way, we passed what's known as the bridge of happiness. Awesome.


We made our way to the oldest church in town, which reminded me of an old castle. Gorgeous.







As we strolled, we could see part of the campus of the NTNU, where Jess goes to school. We headed in that direction and saw some cool buildings, etc.









This building houses the "realist" science subjects; hence, the name. It doesn't exactly sound like what you'd think in American English, which would be quite vulgar, I think.


After heading into the middle of town, we passed by the King's Residence, where he apparently comes several times a year.




Down the street, I saw my third 7-Eleven of the day. I haven't seen this many 7-Elevens in months!


From there, we stopped by the fish market, which smelled like Pike Place Market. Loved it. I was so happy there.


We picked up some fish cakes with smoked salmon and parsley inside. Then we went home for lunch. 'Twas absolutely delicious. Jess made salmon with teriyaki sauce, while I started the rice cooker. We also heated up the fish cakes and ate some veggies. I was stuffed!




After spending the afternoon at home, we met up with some of Jess and Fredrik's friends, and we all went down to a nice spot next to the water for a little grill party. The weather turned a bit chilly and wet for a short while, but overall, it was really quite nice.





The spot was awesome, and you could walk right down to the water's edge. I guess that's a fjord. :) Food was delicious too. We had lamb, pork, sausages. Lots of meat. With some green onions, a sort of pita wrap made from potatoes, and ketchup or Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce. Jess and Fredrik have been feeding me very well, for sure.












The spot where we were is apparently a great spot for seeing the Aurora Borealis in the winter (northern lights).


It's too late in the year now to see them, but a Norwegian photographer took some 20,000 shots with some high-tech gear and made a brilliant time-lapse movie. Jess showed me this yesterday. Check it out!

Tomorrow, I'll have another full day in Trondheim before heading back to Berlin on Thursday. Gonna enjoy the rest of this trip while I can!

Till next time,

Sam

No comments: