After waking up at 6 AM this morning, Chris and I went to McDonald's for a quick Sausage McMuffin and hash brown with orange juice. I hadn't eaten anything that unhealthy in a while, but we were both craving it. Delicious!
Chris headed home after that, and I took the Tube to Heathrow quite early because I have always heard that Heathrow is one of the world's worst airports. My experience today couldn't have been more different though.
Checking in and going through security was extremely quick and straight-forward. I got through in less than 25 minutes. In fact, I was so early I had to wait over an hour before my gate even showed up on the departures screen.
I arrived in Oslo around 1:30 PM local time (12:30 PM in London), and I headed straight for food, since I was starving and the train wasn't scheduled to leave for another hour. There's a term in German for things that are especially expensive: arschteuer.
Well, the roast beef sandwich and bottle of water were arschteuer. I paid 100 Norwegian Kroners for that, which translates to roughly $18. Almost as bad as the breakfast bagel and Sprite I got in Munich two years ago for 15€ (almost $22).
After gobbling up the sandwich, I picked up my train tickets, which I had already paid for and reserved online. It would be six hours and 15 minutes to Trondheim, so I was prepared for a long journey. I had heard there was internet on the train, but I didn't know if I'd find a power outlet. (I'm dumb...didn't realize the outlet was underneath until hour five, by which I had already lost any motivation to do work on my laptop).
After sleeping for a while, I woke up and took pictures as we passed through the Norwegian countryside. Although seemingly uninhabited in most places, there's no question it's really gorgeous. Reminded me of British Columbia, Central Washington, Colorado, and maybe even some Bavaria.
The train finally arrived around 9:20 PM, about 20 minutes later than expected. Jess and Fredrik met me at the train station, and we walked to their place from there. Jess was one of my first friends at the UW, and it's been over two years since we'd seen each other. I'm glad I made it out to Trondheim!
I hadn't eaten since that roast beef sandwich at 1 PM, so the dinner Jess and Fredrik absolutely hit the spot. We had broccoli, potatoes, bread, and reindeer meatballs. Jess had told me about that before I arrived, so I was really excited to try them. They were so good! Frankly, if she hadn't told me they were reindeer meatballs, I wouldn't have known.
Jess had also made tiramisu for dessert, which was amazing. Such a nice, pleasant surprise. :)
Tomorrow, I'll get to explore Trondheim with Jess while Fredrik does some work. Then we're going to have a little grill party in the evening. Can't wait!
Toodles,
Sam
Chris headed home after that, and I took the Tube to Heathrow quite early because I have always heard that Heathrow is one of the world's worst airports. My experience today couldn't have been more different though.
Checking in and going through security was extremely quick and straight-forward. I got through in less than 25 minutes. In fact, I was so early I had to wait over an hour before my gate even showed up on the departures screen.
I arrived in Oslo around 1:30 PM local time (12:30 PM in London), and I headed straight for food, since I was starving and the train wasn't scheduled to leave for another hour. There's a term in German for things that are especially expensive: arschteuer.
Well, the roast beef sandwich and bottle of water were arschteuer. I paid 100 Norwegian Kroners for that, which translates to roughly $18. Almost as bad as the breakfast bagel and Sprite I got in Munich two years ago for 15€ (almost $22).
After gobbling up the sandwich, I picked up my train tickets, which I had already paid for and reserved online. It would be six hours and 15 minutes to Trondheim, so I was prepared for a long journey. I had heard there was internet on the train, but I didn't know if I'd find a power outlet. (I'm dumb...didn't realize the outlet was underneath until hour five, by which I had already lost any motivation to do work on my laptop).
After sleeping for a while, I woke up and took pictures as we passed through the Norwegian countryside. Although seemingly uninhabited in most places, there's no question it's really gorgeous. Reminded me of British Columbia, Central Washington, Colorado, and maybe even some Bavaria.
The train finally arrived around 9:20 PM, about 20 minutes later than expected. Jess and Fredrik met me at the train station, and we walked to their place from there. Jess was one of my first friends at the UW, and it's been over two years since we'd seen each other. I'm glad I made it out to Trondheim!
I hadn't eaten since that roast beef sandwich at 1 PM, so the dinner Jess and Fredrik absolutely hit the spot. We had broccoli, potatoes, bread, and reindeer meatballs. Jess had told me about that before I arrived, so I was really excited to try them. They were so good! Frankly, if she hadn't told me they were reindeer meatballs, I wouldn't have known.
Jess had also made tiramisu for dessert, which was amazing. Such a nice, pleasant surprise. :)
Tomorrow, I'll get to explore Trondheim with Jess while Fredrik does some work. Then we're going to have a little grill party in the evening. Can't wait!
Toodles,
Sam
No comments:
Post a Comment