Friday, May 20, 2011

Just Chugging Along

I shouldn't complain about sun, but it's made for some rather uncomfortable living quarters as my apartment  starts feeling like a toaster oven when it's sunny. Even with sporadic rainfall this week, it's been warm and stuffy in the apartment. Thankfully, there's nothing like an ice cold German beer in the afternoon to cool you down.

It's been another week of interviews, and I've collected 9 in just the past two days alone. I am still working on transcriptions, but my perceived results are seemingly more confusing than I had anticipated. By this, I mean I had thought there'd be a stronger unified feeling about the questions I'm asking, but it seems to be as diversified and almost polar opposite as it can get. I'll know more when I finish my transcriptions and analysis.

Nevertheless, my favorite part about my work is sitting down and chatting with students (through the interviews or before/after). In fact, today, one student I interviewed invited me to a concert he's organizing in a few weeks. My being and looking young has its advantages when meeting with 15 to 18 year olds.

Last night, I watched the Mariners win their game against the Angels in walk-off fashion. It seems when it's sunny in Seattle, it's hard for the outfielders to see the ball. The M's won when the flyball that would've been out number three turned into a game-winning single, when the Angels' Gold Glove center fielder missed the catch. It was nice to watch the game for free on MLB.tv and at a reasonable hour.


This weekend, I have lots of transcriptions to get through, so I probably will be staying at home more than I had planned. Originally, I had thought about going up to Lübeck on Sunday to visit Ariel, since she's visiting a friend. But with the tight turn-around times between trains (the schedule's were just not cooperative) and the amount it would cost for just one person (sucks to use a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket when you're the only one going), it just doesn't seem to be the best idea. Plus I have a busy Monday that I cannot afford to miss.

The wife of the governor of Georgia is coming to Berlin to visit the German-American Fulbright Commission. Gov. Nathan Deal of Georgia is on an official visit to Europe, and his wife, Sandra, is accompanying him on the trip. However, she has her own agenda too. Apparently, she has a background in education, so she's taking time to learn about various international education programs.

Last week, I was invited to join another American Fulbrighter and two German Fulbrighters in meeting with Mrs. Deal at the Commission during her official visit. Thankfully, the time worked out, but I have to sandwich the meeting between morning interviews with teachers at one of my partner schools and afternoon interviews with students at another of my partner schools. Needless to say, it'll be a busy Monday, but I'm looking forward to it.

Finally, a special note to mother as it's her birthday today. Happy Birthday, Mom! I will call home later. :)

Have a good weekend,

Sam

P.S. Do you have allergies too? My allergies have been killing me here in Berlin (and they were even worse in Paris), but apparently, this year is one of the worst for allergies. Sadly, most Europeans I've met don't like air conditioning...that is definitely one thing I miss about the U.S.!

1 comment:

Rissa said...

allergies.. wow. this year seems to be the year of the worst.. lol
the harshest winter. and now worst season for allergies.. the world is out to get us.... nah.. but I here you on the allergies!