Saturday, May 28, 2011

Winnetou Night

I've written about Winnetou before. But it's been a while since I've actually watched any of the films. In fact, not since September. Brandon and I had been planning to have a Winnetou marathon in Berlin since the fall though, and we finally made it happen.


So yesterday, after a day of meetings and interviews (rather successful ones, I'd say), I came home, ready for an evening of entertainment and great food/drink. I had marinated some chicken thighs last night, using my mom's great recipe for grilled chicken wings, and I'm proud to say they turned out well.


James arrived first, even though he had to travel from Leipzig. So he and I prepped the salad and got the grill set up while waiting for Brandon and Matt. A few text messages and phone calls later, we decided to start eating first since the other guys were running way behind.



James and I plopped our chicken thighs onto the grill, and they took much longer than I would've liked. But they were so juicy and delicious that it didn't matter that we had to wait a long time.




Eventually, Matt showed up too after riding his bike around Berlin as part of the Critical Mass bike riding event. I'd never heard of it until he told us, but apparently it's great fun that the police love to join in on—because they get to write up lots of citations.



Besides our salad with my homemade vinaigrette, we had brötchen, Nürnberger sausages, Thüringer sausages, bratwursts made with some Köstritzer Schwarzbier, and of course, the chicken thighs. I had four extra ones, and James and I were still hungry, so we marinated one more chicken thigh each with oregano, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Delicious.


Brandon finally showed up around 10 PM after having chased down the cat he's watching for a friend of ours this week. We hung out on the terrace for a while longer, even after dark and ate and drank good beers. The crate I bought on Wednesday is nearly all gone already. We did good work.

We also watched a bit of German TV while waiting for Brandon and came across Bob Ross painting on TV. In English too! Just like on PBS back home.



After hanging out on our roof with his drink (never done that before...), Matt left midway through watching Winnetou I, and the rest of us only got through a bit more before deciding to just call it night and go to bed. Brandon and James had already crashed, and I was ready to hit the sack as soon as I finished this blog. After having gone to bed around 11 or 12 all week, I was not used to being up at 1:30 AM anymore. But...I fell asleep before the pictures uploaded, so I finished it this morning.


This morning, we had all planned on sleeping in, but Brandon woke up way early and he and James chilled on my terrace while I slept for another hour. Haha. I finally got up at 9:30, and we're about to make some French toast. Later this afternoon, we're going to try and find a basketball court and maybe go to Mauerpark with a one-time grill for an afternoon of grilling and relaxing. After such a busy week, I'm glad to just be winding down this weekend.

More later after a day of fun and relaxing,

Sam

No comments: