Sunday, May 29, 2011

Winnetou Night Part 2 (aka Winnetou Weekend)

Winnetou Night extended into Winnetou Weekend as Brandon and James both stayed overnight at my place. I mentioned at the end of my last blog post that we were about to make French toast. Well, we ended up having eggs, sausages, and bacon plus a fruit salad as well. Here's the proof:





The weather outside was so nice that we ate our breakfast on the terrace. That was partly also to stay fairly quiet as Lenz had also had a late night the day before and was still trying to get some shut eye.



We were all so stuffed after eating all that food. The speed with which Brandon wolfed down all his food was also quite impressive, and typically I am the fastest eater at the table.


Eventually, Lenz came and joined us for some French toast as well, and we blasted our Native American music as well. So epic.


Brandon took off in the afternoon, and James and I decided to go shoot some hoops nearby. We Google Mapped a court just north of my house, so we headed up that way. Turns out the place is part of an exercise/gym complex in my neighborhood. I'm pretty sure you have to pay, but James and I strolled right in past the unattended desk and straight to the outdoor court.

For about an hour and a half, we played basketball in the sun. I hadn't actually shot hoops since last August when I was in Greece, so naturally I was pretty rusty. James was killing it though.

After a while, we headed back and after cooling off, taking a cold shower, and playing some Wii (James beat me at golf, I beat him at baseball), we cooked up some butter chicken curry and green beans with rice. It didn't take more than 25 minutes, and it was quite tasty. Good work, James.



We also had more of the good, cheap beer we had picked up from the nearby grocery store. It's only 23 cents per bottle. Good stuff.


Today, I started my English lessons with two girls from the Republic of Georgia. One of them is the friend with whom I went to the event sponsored by the Georgian Embassy on Thursday (she sent me the picture we took on Thursday; see below). She's a friend of my old roommate, Ronny, and she recently asked if I'd be willing to teach her and a friend English. Technically, they both already speak English, but they want to improve it.


Today's first lesson worked out well though. We're working on email writing, answering the phone, and giving presentations. They want to improve their business English, so we're focusing on business terms, etc. I've never actually taught English before, so it's fun planning out lessons, etc. Since I'm a novice at teaching English alone though, send me any tips if you have any. :)

After the English lessons, I went over to my friends Kerstin and Holger's house. I hadn't seen them since visiting them with my family in December, so it was great to see them and catch up. Also their younger son is way bigger since I saw him six months ago; he's four. After chatting for a bit, they and their two sons took me to a local ice cream shop (very popular; long line), and I had two scoops of ice cream (lemon cinnamon and red currant). Delicious.

My week ahead is much calmer than last week. I have lots of transcribing to do, but it's coming together. I should make good progress on my final report this week as well. Time is still flying by way too quickly though, and I'm starting to feel bummed about having to leave Berlin in two months. Such is life, I suppose...

Toodles,

Sam

No comments: